We welcome submissions and are always looking for talented writers and illustrators. For those who are mid-career, we can offer advice on building success, exploring new paths where appropriate and maximising income. For debut authors and illustrators we have the excitement of maximising opportunities from the outset.
How to send work to us
- Send the work by email to either Caroline Sheldon or Felicity Trew - not both of us. We read individually.
- In the subject line of the email put SUBMISSION/[TITLE OF WORK]/[YOUR NAME]
- At the top of your email put a three line synopsis describing your work
- Include all important and relevant information about yourself in your email
- Authors - attach the first three chapters of your manuscript, or if your work is shorter than 10,000 words attach the whole manuscript, along with a one page synopsis of your work
- Picture book writers - if possible, send three samples of your work
- Illustrators - send samples of your work as a jpeg or pdf or give a link to your online portfolio. (Never send us original work.)
We do not send confirmation of receipt, but we aim to reply to everyone within 6 weeks.
We do not charge a reading fee.
We do not want to receive original manuscripts or illustrations and cannot be responsible for such material.
What we do
We intend to be an enabler, advocate, adviser and negotiator for our clients, not an intruder in the relationship between author and publisher. These are some of the things we do, but every author and illustrator is unique and will call on us in different ways.
- Place work with an appropriate publisher, carefully assessing financial terms and marketing commitment
- Negotiate advances
- Negotiate royalty rates with particular attention to areas such as high discount royalty rates and ebook rates
- Advise on career paths, suggesting new directions where appropriate
- Keep in touch with commercial trends in print and electronic media
- Exploit rights in all media including film, television, stage, multi-media and electronic
- Sell translation rights
- Sell rights in America
- Collect monies due
Our basic commission rate is 15% on advances and royalties in the home market and 20% for translation, US sales and film and television.